02 Aug 2012
DIY Project: Charmingly Rustic Hanging Chalkboard
Even with all the modern technologies — computers, the Internet, smart phones — it can still be a challenge to keep your daily chores organized. Sometimes all you need is an old-fashioned to-do list and a simple check-off system. There is something about that ritual — about physically crossing off your goals — that can leave a person feeling so accomplished. But organization does not have to come at the price of style or design. If the prosaic choices at the big-box stores leave something to be desired, you can make your own chalkboard to-do list in an afternoon.
This piece of wood was once a back panel to a small cupboard. The cupboard is now falling apart, but with projects like this you can still get use out of old furniture.
This chalkboard has a simple design with rustic touches. By repurposing a piece of scrap wood, you can add to the unpolished charm. Include dotted lines if you see yourself making lists. Keep this chalkboard in the kitchen to easily add to the grocery list or in the craft room for noting needed supplies. But the board can be used for fun too. Draw doodles on it or leave sweet messages to loved ones.
- scrap of wood
- black chalkboard paint (can be acquired here
- sponge brush
- painter’s tape
- white paint pen
- three cup hooks (eye hooks work too)
- jute twine
1. Clean your scrap piece of wood board. Use a pencil and ruler to mark the dimensions of the chalkboard. The wood in the example has a 2-inch border around the edges. Stick painter’s tape along the marked borders to create a clean edge.
2. Use the sponge brush to apply a coat of chalkboard paint. Let it dry, then apply another three to four coats or until you are satisfied with the paint coverage.
Once the paint is completely dry, remove the tape.
3. With a white paint pen, mark dotted lines on the chalkboard. Let dry.
4. Along the top of the board, screw in two cup hooks spaced evenly apart.
5. Screw in a third cup hook on the front of the board (to hang the chalk from).
6. Cut a length of jute twine to hang the chalk. Tie one end of the twine to the hook on the front of the board. Attach a piece of chalk to the other end.
7. Cut another piece of twine and knot the ends. Hook the chalkboard on the twine and hang in an ideal location, like the kitchen or office.
This project would also make a unique housewarming present or a gift for a young couple. When setting up a new home, a little bit of organizational help, especially a stylish chalkboard, can be a welcome addition.
Courtesy Sharing by Houzz