The 20 Best Bedroom Designs of 2011
17 Jan 2012
This past year, readers were all about bold, stylish bedrooms chock full of inspirational ideas. Most people wanted easy and affordable ideas they could use to completely change the look and style of their bedroom.
Dramatic light fixtures, rich colors, exciting wall treatments, and contrasting accents can be seen in just about every one of these bedrooms. Another popular trend —multiple seating areas in the bedroom — continues as people spend more time at home, rather than going out. Take a look at 20 favorite bedrooms added to site in 2011. Which comfy bedroom is calling out your name?
1. Users couldn't get enough of the products in this gray bedroom room and saved this photo to their ideabooks for inspiration on how to use an armoire, layering different forms of lighting, and how to make use of several plush benches.
2. Figuring out how to decorate a teenager's room can be a challenge. They want something fun and colorful, and you want something that'll go with the rest of your home — and something you won't have to redecorate in a year. Users loved the sleek built-ins in this teenage girls' bedroom, the smart use of colorful textiles, and the playful pink ceiling.
3. Mixing dark and light colors was one trend that our readers couldn't get enough of this year. The walls in this bedroom are pretty dark, but the white and yellow accents keep it from becoming dreary. The large windows and furniture placement keep the room open and bright, while metallic table lamps and a starburst mirror add glamour.
4. This beautiful bedroom is a great example of all-white done right. A mix of subtle patterns and textures keeps the eye entertained, but is still soothing and relaxing. Readers also loved the bedding — don't you just want to snuggle up under that fluffy duvet?
5. The unique placement of this rustic barn door automatically made this photo worth saving. Painting the door white makes it feel more modern and cohesive with the rest of the house, and contrasts with the shearling bedding inside.
6. While this bedroom is definitely dramatic, the gray tones tend to give it a soothing, rather than cold, feel. Readers were drawn to the carefully chosen color palette, as well as the convenient sitting area in front of the fireplace. Various forms of lighting — from sconces, to floor lamps, to the chandelier — provide comfortable levels of light for any time of day.
7. Although this is a dark bedroom, the plush textiles and thick upholstered headboard give it an extra-cozy vibe. Houzz users loved the padded headboard on the wall and the smart use of the mirror, which spreads light throughout the space and makes the room feel bigger.
8. Combined with earthy pastels and off-white draperies, the gray paint in this room feels warm and soft.
9. Houzz readers saved this photo for just about every inspiring detail in the room. The bedside pendants and modern chandelier immediately catch the eye, but readers also love the curtain behind the bed, the metallic wallcovering, and the beautiful and glamorous four-poster bed.
10. This room has such an peaceful feel — you relax just looking at the photograph. The robin's-egg blue wall color feels fresh and soft, and the designer gave it a bit of life with deeper blues and beiges.
11. Readers were immediately drawn to the accessories in this room. The upholstered headboard and the Art Deco-inspired fixtures give it a glamorous look. The use of all-white hotel bedding keeps the room feeling crisp and fresh.
12. Houzzers wanted rooms that felt cozy and warm this year — bedrooms where they could curl up and read a book, or browse the internet and get a little work done.
This room has a beautiful neutral palette users loved. The wall color, November Rain by Benjamin Moore, softens the dark browns and grays in the textiles.
13. The creative use of wall art in this coastal-inspired bedroom was a big draw. A blue-and-brown color palette was very popular on the site this year, and Houzzers loved the mix of patterns on the bedding and carpet.
14. Many of the popular bedrooms this year felt modern, but Houzzers still loved a soft, traditionally decorated bedroom. The dramatic headboard was a huge point of visual interest in this room, and Houzz users also loved the chandelier that's used as bedside lighting.
15. Although neutrals ruled the roost in bedrooms this year, Houzz readers also loved when a room showcased bold color. The combination of turquoise, blood-orange, and mustard in this room is cheerful and eclectic.
16. Affordable and easy decorating tips were on our readers' minds this year. The yellow, black and gray color palette in this bedroom called out to readers, but they also loved how a few simple pieces took this bedroom to the next level. An upholstered bench at the foot of a bed, a great headboard, and the coordinated wall art are all decorating details that make a big difference.
17. Elegant and luxurious, this silver-and-white bedroom has an open and airy feel Houzz users fell in love with. All of the exquisite pieces of furniture look perfectly proportioned and comfortable.
18. A unique mix of textiles and a fabulous set of drapes in this bedroom called out to people. Although it's a bit of a darker bedroom, that didn't turn Houzzers away — the big window lets just enough light in for it to feel cozy, but not claustrophobic.
19. There's almost no end to the inspiration that Houzzers found in this dark and cozy bedroom. The fantastic light fixture is the first thing that catches the eye, but Houzz users also saved this photo for its warm wood floors, gray walls, bedframe and beautiful fireplace just beyond the main bedroom.
20. This room is another great example of a little girl's room done right. Houzzers loved the cottage look of this fresh and cheerful bedroom. The indoor shutters were a great touch, and the geometric wallpaper behind the beds keeps the room youthful and fun.
Courtesy Sharing by Houzz